Code Editors normally comes in desktop version, but this wonderful application allows you to use an equally good code editor as a metro app on your Windows 8 device. Code Writer is available freely in Productivity category of Windows Store. You can find it using Win + Q key combination, or simply click on the link at the end of this article to view the app directly in Windows Store.
Let’s have a look on the working and key features of this free Windows 8 code editor.
Write, Edit Text or Code files using Code Writer:
Once you install and launch this free Windows 8 code editor app, you would be taken to a screen where icons naming various languages would be listed in a queue. To work on a particular language, you just have to click on the respective icon. This would take you to another screen, which would be the editor screen. Now start writing the code and Code Writer would automatically highlight the syntax for you.
Once you finish up, you can make a right click anywhere on the screen to bring out the upper and bottom flyouts, which contain various options to save file, open new file, open a recently-closed file, undo-redo changes, switch back to the language selection screen, view file properties, and more. Click on the specified option to to the requisite.
Apart from that, whenever you open a code file to edit something within this free Windows 8 code editor app, changes would be updated as you type and would be shown in the recent document that appears in the upper flyout.
Key Features of this Free Windows 8 Code Editor App:
- Free Windows 8 code editor app that supports text and code editing.
- Supports around 24 popular code languages.
- Multi-tabbed interface and quick document access.
- Metro UI support.
- Syntax highlighting, find/replace, undo/redo, and other basic features available.
- Case outlining, quick info, text formatting, and other advanced features available for selected languages.
- Snap mode support for multi-tasking.
- Full-screen editor.
- Document print support.
- Support for touch-enabled devices.
- Live tile display.
- Integrated with Settings, Search, and Share charm.
- Tutorial available.
- File association can be done.
- Easy to use.
The Final Verdict:
Code Writer is a very good text cum code editor app for Windows 8. If you are a developer having a Windows 8 device, this app is a must try for your code editing needs. Try and share your experiences via comments.